3.19.2009

if i had my little way, i'd eat peaches everyday

Pears are the weirdest fruit, in my opinion. I mean, they look like apples and the taste isn’t entirely dissimilar. But they’re NOT apples, and the texture is rougher, grainier. And then you have to wonder, what really GOES with pears? Almond butter? Cinnamon sugar? Nothing?
 
It’s been a very “fruitful” week for me (pun intended), and I suppose that’s a good thing. Except I cut into a spectacular-looking peach two days ago and was completely crestfallen when I saw that it had rotten from the inside out. Ick. I stocked up on plums at Aldi’s Tuesday and I have to say, these are by far the best plums I’ve ever had in my entire life – they’re so juicy and sweet; they’re absolutely perfect. While buying the plums, I noticed some bundles of asparagus and decided to add them to my too-full armload. I’ve only tried asparagus one other time, when my friend Andy made me try it while we were still in college (about [eek!] six years ago). I was pleasantly surprised by the taste, but I still haven’t had any since then. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to make it tonight.
 
In my rapidly accelerating excitement over the warmer temperatures, I haven’t been to the gym since Monday evening. Tuesday night I took a long walk around my neighborhood and several surrounding neighborhoods and last night I went to the Highland Park sand volleyball courts to do some practicing... and some pooper-scooper-ing. As I’ve mentioned before, despite the sign on the gate leading into the courts that states no dogs are allowed inside the courts, there are dog turds EVERYWHERE. So I went to the courts prepared – all kitted out with a garden shovel and a strong plastic bag. I scooped up one court, but the other one is still covered. Scooping someone else’s dog’s poop so you can practice your serve? THAT’S hardcore.
 
Oh, and I don’t know if I mentioned it before, but I got my new heart rate monitor pedometer watch in the mail on Saturday!! I was so excited to get it that I put it on immediately and walked around my house, counting my steps and taking note of my mph. It’s pretty sweet! My new goal of sorts, though “unofficial,” is to take at least 10,000 steps throughout the day. It’s pretty rough when you have a sedentary job, but it’s not too bad. It equals out to roughly an hour of walking + going through my day normally. And I’m probably getting a lot more than 10,000 because I keep turning the pedometer off and forgetting to turn it back on. Oh well. I think I’m doing better with it today – it’s 1 pm and I’ve gotten in 2,752 steps so far… a quarter of the way there!
 
As for the date I had Friday, it went really well! We met at Mad Mex and I had a large Shamrockin’ Rita frozen margarita and about ¼ of my spicy Mad Mex chicken burrito – it was HUMONGOID!!! I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a huge burrito! It was really yummy, though, and I ended up eating the leftovers for two additional meals. I went to his place on Monday night and he cooked baked ziti for me. He used to work as a restaurant chef before becoming an electrical engineer, so his ziti was REALLY good. I was definitely impressed. We also had a bottle of beer from the Great Lakes Brewing Co. – I think it was called Black Out Stout. It was one of the best dark beers I’ve ever had – it tasted just like a shot of espresso! It was another good date. He’s supposed to come over to my place this weekend, but I may have to cancel – I might have to go home for a family thing.
 
I should probably do more work now… things have been absolutely ridiculous at work, hence why I haven’t had a chance to write anything lately. Today is finally a little more manageable. I have no idea where the rest of my week went.
 
And I have to give a shout-out to the birthday girl, Lori! Today’s her birthday and she didn’t even get to take a full half day… but she got yummy food and awesome cookies to make up for the craziness! Hope you have fun tonight, Lori! :)
 
Have a good day/night, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. hi lindsay -- thanks for delurking and leading me to YOUR blog! i'm excited to read more.

    and NUTMEG goes with pear :-)

    hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete