4.17.2009

I am a little bit insecure, a little unconfident...

I TOTALLY jinxed myself yesterday. And the bad luck hasn’t worn off since.
 
So I was really hyped up for our game yesterday… I was totally ready to go and I couldn’t wait to get my hands on a ball. I got to the games super-early – early enough to watch the entire match of the teams before us, hoping that maybe one of the teams would be short a player and need me to step in. They weren’t, but this gave me extra time to mentally prepare myself… we warmed up a little and then we started playing. I was the first server for our team and my first couple serves were spot-on… and then suddenly I biffed it. I missed a serve. After I said yesterday that I haven’t missed a serve since starting the comp league… ugh. Luckily, I only missed one serve of the night. But the rest of my game was just really off. My sets were decent; in fact, everyone was complimenting my sets all night. Some of my passes were horrible, though, and the few times that I tried to get a hit in, I hit the ball out of bounds. I remarked early in the first game that it seemed like everything was moving in slow-motion. I guess it’s because we all play in the competitive league, too, where the games are much faster-paced and skillful. It’s like we forgot to play slowly – and the saying that you play to the level of your competition is totally true. Unfortunately, I wasn’t the only one having a bad game day – we all screwed up a few times and we all felt like everything was off and in slow-mo. We lost the first game, but came back to win the other 2 for the match. Plus, we met another one of our players, Fawn. She seems really awesome and I’m already comfortable around her. So we still have one more player to meet, and I’m not even sure what her name is. Theoretically, I’ll find out next week… if she shows up. This is good, though – we technically have 7 people on our team but only 6 are allowed on the court at any one time. So if someone always misses a game, no one ever has to sit out!
 
To continue my bad luck, my car is literally running on fumes and the little “low fuel” dinger dinged at me for the first time ever this morning on the way into work, startling me so much that I almost went through my windshield trying to stop and not hit a #1 Cochran truck. Luckily I stopped in time, but it was way too close. Last night when I got home, I grabbed my mail and part of it slipped out from between the sheets of an Ulta ad and fell into a big muddy puddle. And I keep dropping things. Chronically. Like, I can’t keep anything at all in between my mitts. Oh, and my mystery knee injury is in full swing pain-wise after last night’s awful vb game… even though I played so horribly there should be no reason for pain.
 
Oh well. I guess you can’t win them all… I just hope the bad luck stops before it gets ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment